Monday, April 19, 2010

Rainy 10k Weekend


The 10k went well! The start was at 7am. Super Early. I know they had to get that, the 5k and the 1mile fun run/walk done by the time the zoo opened at 10, so I understand that. The thing is... it was REALLY HUMID. The air was thick. A friend of mine (the wonderful Deb that talked me into completing the Half) picked me up so we could carpool and it was nice to have somebody to hang out with while we awaited the start.

The humidity made the first three miles difficult. It was a relatively hilly part of Fort Worth, and I kind of struggled. I think somewhere in Mile 3, I found a stride. I can do this... right!? Then in the midst of Mile 4, it started sprinkling. Lovely light rain that squelched the humidity and had a wonderful cooling effect. I did some walking in the midst of Mile 5 and 6... but I had a good run. I completed somwhere around 1hour 14 minutes. About 12 minutes per mile. Not bad!

Jules, Grammy and Aunt Mereny completed the 1 mile fun run. Jules actually got out of the stroller this time. It was through the zoo.... so they got to see the animals as they were waking up. And she actually walked across the finish line this time! :-) I think this second week, she understood better what the whole thing was about. That's my girl!

Funny thing... Friday night I was showing her the t-shirt that we got. She said "Did the runners give it to me?" My reply - Yeah, well, Kind of... She says "That was nice of them." So Silly! A toddler's view of the world is so refreshing sometimes.

Afterward, my mom, Jules and I met my aunt and her grandson, Dan to go to the zoo. I think we should have cancelled this part of the day because I was exhausted and sore... and we got more rain. Would it have been so bad to put this off for another day? Oh well... we still had fun. Jules got her face painted. She loved it. And she's more capable than any three year old that I know of sitting still.

Nap in the late afternoon and then a fund raising dinner for a Women's Group that my aunt and cousin participate with. My cousin's seventeen year old daughter got word during the dinner (she was volunteering and bussing tables) that she's been given a $10,000 scholarship for college. I am SO PROUD OF THAT KID!!!!! She has been through a lot in her young years and she has really made a lot of herself.

By the way... if you're a member of Daily Mile, add me as a friend! My name on there is Amy Y... Not sure how to do these things yet!

3 comments:

jaelwoman said...

Amy that's AWESOME! Some day I WILL run a 10k....someday!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lovely time with your family, even with the little bit of rain. You are such a great mom, supporting your daughter and teaching her how to be healthy so early in her life!

Amy said...

Thanks ladies!